07 April 2013

Sweet Retreat: Part II

Here's another incomplete I was able to finish at the retreat: a nine-patch made from a Moda charm pack.

I totally understand why people buy charm packs -- or jelly rolls, or layer cakes: you get a handful of pretty, coordinating fabrics that are very visually appealing! The reality, however, is that once you get your precuts home, you realize how limited you are in what you can make with them. Unless you're happy churning out a table runner or wall hanging, a charm pack simply isn't enough fabric to be useful.

I managed to eek a quilt out of my single charm pack first by cutting each charm square in four, then mixing them with white and off-white prints to make nine-patches. But that still wasn't usefully quilt-sized. So I went back to the quilt store where I bought the charm pack to begin with, and they still had some of the fabrics that appeared in the charm pack on the bolt -- so I picked the blue fabric with large pink and yellow roses, because it contains all of the colours that appear in the other fabrics. I was going to attach the fabric directly as a wide border, but my fellow quilter Karen -- who is quite accomplished and artistic -- suggested that I frame the nine-patch centre with a thin green strip first. I did, and I think it does a nice job of setting the squares off.

Not sure yet what the destiny of this quilt is, but it looks to me like a quilt to snuggle with on the porch, on a cool summer evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment