29 April 2013

... and a quilt for my Mother-in-law!

First of all, I want to show you the completed quilt top I made for my father-in-law, with the borders added. When Barry and Connor held it up in front of the window, it had a great stained-glass effect! I think it turned out well -- FIL seemed happy with it -- and now it's just a matter of getting it quilted. I have to pick up some batting and backing this week, and the machine quilter has promised me that she can get it done in late May, so that's exciting.

Next, it was time to finish up the quilt I'd planned for my mother-in-law, who is also turning 70 this spring. I wanted to use pinks, purples and blues because I understand those to be her favourite colours, so I had my son Scotty come with me to the local quilt store to pick out some batiks. He knows that Grandma likes gardening, so he looked for batiks that had flowers in them, and we decided to go with curved piecing, to suggest a bed of pretty blooms. What do you think? Does it look like flowers popping out all over the place? Or maybe moons in the garden?? 

Because our house is currently under construction, I ended up doing a lot of sewing in the classroom of my local quilt shop. It was amazing how many people, upon seeing the blocks go up on the design wall, said to me, "Wow, you must really love your mother-in-law!"

This quilt is also due to be quilted in late May, and I'm glad both MIL and FIL will have their quilts before summer.

Deep breath, stretch... and on to the next project!



No comments:

Post a Comment