20 September 2010

Rise and Shine

smaller wake up quilt It was time to step outside my colour comfort zone.

If you know me – if you’ve seen my stash – you know that I’m a lover of autumn colours. Deep shades of scarlet, gold, green, brown and navy are my usual inclination.

But from the first moment I saw Linda Weinstein’s “Bali Dreams” on display at the Creative Sisters Quilt Studio, I knew I wanted to make it. I was completely charmed by the cheerful rainbow of batiks.

At last, I gave in and bought the kit. The hardest part was arranging the blocks to try to get a colourwash effect. In retrospect, I wish I had substituted some of the fabrics that weren't working for me, instead of continuing to struggle with them. I arranged and rearranged the blocks on my design wall, until finally my 7 year old son said, "Mom, why don't you stop messing around and just sew them together?" Ah, from the mouths of babes!

The completed top was quilted by the Creative Sisters; I finally finished the binding at a recent quilting retreat. I still love the glowing colours: like a sunrise!

No comments:

Post a Comment